Thursday, July 17, 2008

2008 Smooth Jazz Fest - Southfield, MI


Every year, rain or shine, V98.7 with help from flutist Alexander Zonjic puts together a stellar lineup that truly deserves to be on a bigger stage. I think maybe next year someone should look into recording this thing on HD and put it on Directv... just a TV guy thinking out of the box!

I mean, come on... over a three-day period (June 13-15), the audience was treated to the likes of Jeff Lorber, Jessy J, Peter White, Jeff Golub, Gerald Albright, Bobby Lyle, Mindi Abair, Kenny G and Marion Meadows. There are several others I can throw in but I don't want to make you too jealous.

What's that? Already did? Sorry about that. You should make plans for next year then because the performances were first rate.


I first saw Kenny G in concert during the winter of 1989 in Merrillville, Indiana. He was fine tuning not only his craft but his showmanship even back then.

Needless to say, he's come a long way from Merrillville. He has mastered that getting personal with the crowd thing, feeling at ease performaning not only for a crowd but in a crowd.

I recall during that Merrillville concert where he appeared from behind the audience, walking down an aisle, blowing his sax. What made it memorable was that he paused next to a woman who I later learned was slightly deaf and blind. He put her hand on his sax so she could feel the vibration of him playing. Wow... magical stuff. A showman is born.

So after all these years, I was happy to see in this tough business of making a living in jazz not only Kenny G's continued success, but he has the same piano player - Robert Damper and bass player - Vail Johnson, that he had during that night in 1989. I only wish he had enough time to stick around to give me a golf lesson!


I know Marion Meadows through some projects he and I have done with Alexander Zonjic. Personally I don't think there's anybody out there blowing as distinct a sound as the one which comes from Marion.


I hear a song on the radio and I know right away, it's Marion Meadows. Kudos to him for standing out in a crowd. And Marion is cool, good down to earth people.

An avid cyclist, he's probably huddled up somewhere right now watching the Tour De France. And Marion, did you break down and get the new iPhone 3G?

He's due to come back to the Detroit area in a few weeks and hopefully, I'll post a conversation. His last album "Dressed To Chill" was in 2006!!

No comments: